"London calling, yeah, I was there, too
An' you know what they said? Well, some of it was true!"
.....London Calling, The Clash, 1979

Since we had an eleven hour lay over in London prior to our Southeast Asia trip we decided to make the most of it and traipse around London town to see the sights.  It was an 8 hour flight with a lot of turbulence from DFW.  Watched a lot of movies and completely missed a night of sleep, arriving at Heathrow at 9AM.

The day was cloudy with some misty rain and about 45 degrees, a normal London day.  Armed with our guidebook we headed out on the Underground to London City.  The subway (underground) was easy to figure out, clean and fast.  Though surprisingly a lot of it was not "underground", which was nice as we could watch the English countryside go by, or at least London's outskirts. 

Click the UNDERGROUND sign below for a movie.




We managed to visit some of the key sights like Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Saint James Park, Downing Street and the Tower Bridge.  Took lots of pictures at Trafalgar square and spotted the quintessential double-decker busses and red phone booths. 

By the time we got to the Tower Bridge it was late afternoon, the rain had picked up and we were hungry so we popped into a pub for some bangers and mash....ok, we actually had some burgers and fries along with a couple beers. 




We then headed back to Heathrow on the Underground.  We left ourselves plenty of time as we expected the security at the airport to be a long arduous affair.

Turns out it was the easiest security we would encounter.  After all the stories we had heard about Heathrow we were surprised when they just basically waived us through and there were virtually no lines.  We were left with a few hours to kill in the super boring Heathrow airport before boarding our ten and half hour flight to Bangkok and the beginning of our Southeast Asia adventure.

Click on the Photo button above for more pictures of our day in London.